Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Saturday, January 1, 2011

15 myles - 2.17:20

Bluffs/Wildcat Ridge - 11 AM
15 degrees, partly cloudy, cold snow
mind/body - good
easy effort

Even though the effort was easy, slipping on the snow was torquing my lower back. Going uphill it was tough to gain any traction so it was two steps up, one step back. I intended on doing the full HR tour (Bluffs, Wildcat Ridge, Backcountry) but because the back was tweaking I decided 2+ hours was enough. Now Wildcat Ridge is closed till March 25th so I'll have to find somewhere else to go. Plenty of other places, just have to drive to them.

2011 is going to be an exciting year, albeit busy. I just got a promotion in my job so I'll be traveling a little bit more, unfortunately not to any mountain states, more like Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Kansas. Nothing wrong with those states and I'm sure they have some hills but it's not the Rocky Mountains. Having said that, I'm going to start posting my training once a week on Sundays. I'll still be logging my workouts over here on a daily basis so if you want to find out what I'm doing day in and day out, you still can. And then I'll still be blogging about other things as well.

New Years resolutions. Every year I've had a New Years resolution that centers around food and nutrition (no fried foods, no meat, etc..) this year is no different but not as hard and fast as previous years. This year my family has committed to eating healthier. Meaning we are going to eat more whole foods like fruits, veggies, and grains. And eat less processed foods such as refined sugars and carbohydrates. I know it's kind of vague but the idea is to think about what we are eating and how it was made. When given a choice between a veggie tray and chips and dip we will choose the veggie tray when in the past 9 times out of 10 it's been the chips. I guess you can say the book "In Defense of Food" has had an effect on me. In addition, one that my son Jaxon came up with to help the environment is to stop buying and drinking bottled water.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ed,
do you know what a THERMOMIX is?
It is widely used in Europe from small home kitchens in any village to very prestigious restaurants like “EL Bulli”. You should check it out, Thermonix makes cooking from scratch super easy and fun. I have a 6 months old baby and I even do baby food for him on it, it takes only a few minutes. It has a couple downsides:
1. The initial investment. I think I paid $ 1300 three years ago but it is worth every penny. They do not sell it in the USA as far as I now, I bought it online from Canada.
2. All the measurements are in metric system. `Yankees will have to get used it, not a big problem because the “dammed machine” even weights all the ingredients for you. Literary you only have to read recipes, add ingredients, and press temperature and speed buttons.
Ah! Super easy to clean and you don’t leave the kitchen like a mess!!
Too good to be true eh? Do your own research. It could change the way families eat here in the USA. By the way I am Spanish, trust me in this one.
If you end up with one let me know how you like it.
If you want more info check the link bellow. Happy New Year!!!
Girona.
http://www.vorwerk.com/thermomix/html/

Unknown said...

I have never heard of this product. I went to the website and requested information to be sent to me.

This could possibly be the solution to eating more healthy on a daily basis rather than sporadically.

Thanks Girona!

Anonymous said...

If you don't hear from Thermomix USA contact Thermomix Canada.
Girona.