Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Saturday, July 18, 2009

I just can't seem to relax.

Here I am in Hawaii with my family "relaxing" ever since Hard Rock and my mind is still racing. I guess week in and week out of hammering away, the body just doesn't understand this "relaxing" stuff. I'm finding out that relaxing is hard work and requires training to be good at it.

It took until Thursday of eating and drinking whatever I wanted to get the bug to run again, running 6,7, and 8 myles the last 3 days along Waikiki beach up to Diamond Head. Each run I start slow trying to talk myself out of going any faster but by the end of the run I'm running under 7 pace without hardly breathing. I guess coming from 10k to sea level can have that effect.

At any rate, I don't have any racing plans on the immediate horizon but my mind is telling my body that I'm in great shape and I should find something. It just so happens I will be in Utah next Saturday during the Speed Goat 50K so I may call Karl up to be a late race day entry. I feel good right now and my mind is fresh despite HR. I also have been thinking about getting over to the HURT 100 course while I'm here to preview it for next year.

Last, I wanna thank all of you who commented and read my blog. I really appreciate all the kind words. Each time I write a race report I hope that I can give you a glimpse to live vicariously through me, pain and triumph.

That's all for now. Big Luau at the family reunion tonight so time to eat more and drink some secret Adric Hawaiian potion.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on Hardrock!

I get out to Honolulu for work and run Diamond Head maybe several times a month. If you haven't done the trail inside Diamond Head, check it out. It's 3/4 mile to the top and +450' from inside the crater. It's usually packed with tourists, but they'll jump out of the way if they see a sweaty runner coming towards them. It cost $1 to get in.

On a very good day, I can make it to the top observation deck in just under 9 minutes from the main sign. It's best to get there at the 6AM opening time when there are fewer hikers if you plan on doing repeats (you gotta get your $1 worth!).

The HURT trail is really grueling. I'll sometimes rent a scooter at Waikiki and ride it to Paradise Park in Manoa and pick up the trail there. I haven't run it that much since that course scares me!

Glenn Mackie

Justin Ricks said...

We need to run the Transrockies race together.

Gangels said...

Eddy,

Hate to burst your bubble but I think you missed the Speedgoat 50k. Erik Storheim won.

http://karlmeltzer.com/

Hope you are enjoying you vacation you earned it.

Gangels

Unknown said...

I missed the speed goat 50k!?!? Damn! I'm just a little outta touch here - guess I'll just "relax" then

Johnny & Kathy said...

Scott and family,
We are still in awe of your run Scott! Pray you have a restful trip and hope to see you in September.
Scott you are amazing and Nicole you are fantastic. Jackson, I miss you and Myles you are the baby of the hour.
Until later, K & J

Unknown said...

Glenn thx for the recommendation on diamond head. Went over there this morning @ 6:30 but got behind a Japanese tour bus - slow and go up the stairs. Ran from the hale koa around to diamond head and then back on monsarrat

brownie said...

You should run Leadville!

Unknown said...

Leadville is for lead-butts. I am too fast for Leadville. I will be there with beer cheering you

AJW said...

Too fast for Leadville, eh? Well, one less guy for me to worry about, I guess.

AJW