Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Thursday, June 10, 2010

11 myles - 1.27:06

Mt Falcon v0.75 - 3:00 P.M.
80s, dry, partly cloudy
mind/body - solid
hard effort

A little time trial up to the shelter via Turkey trot. So yeah it was tough! Last time 27:06; This time 27:40. 3 myles, 1800 ft of elevation gain, 12% avg. grade. I remember last time (a full year ago) as if it were yesterday; I was gasping for air, lungs searing, legs burning, and I shuffled around the rest of the run trying to recover. This time was still a hard effort but I tried to keep it under the hood without spilling any lactate. I think I succeeded because my overall time this go round was 5 minutes faster - 1.27:06 vs 1.33:21. So the key takeaway here is know your limit, stay under it, and recover quicker. I was only 34 seconds faster last year but that was all lost this time in the first 1.7 myles (16:01 vs 16:28). Just like Green, there is a strategy, if you try to blow it out in the beginning you will pay for it before you get to the top.

2 comments:

trudginalong said...

Solid Scott, that is cookin'

Geoff said...

Mother of pearl, that is motoring!
Sounds like Lake City is solidly in your sights now!