Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

14 myles - 1.58:55!

Mt Falcon v1.0 - 4:00 P.M.
overcast, upper 60s, dry trail
mind/body - solid again!
Hard effort

Prescribed workout: 2 hour run - hard effort with elevation

Actual workout: 14 myles 1.58:55 avg. 8:22 - Hard effort with ~4500 ft elevation

Finally! I did it! Under 2 hours at Mt. Falcon! I got within 12 seconds last year and remember feeling that was the closest I was gonna get because I was worked, almost to the point of puking. ....much like today (to be honest). The difference was another year of training under my belt while learning how to run faster downhill. But then again maybe I just caught myself on a good day, who knows. I'm just happy with the result! Gives me a great deal of confidence leading into Miwok. For those who know Falcon, here are my splits:
  • Turkey Trot - 17:26
  • Shelter - 29:34
  • Start Parmalee (after 2 dog and walker's) - 50:22
  • End Parmalee - 1.08:51
  • End old Ute (after Tower and Devil's Elbow) - 1.32:57
  • Turkey Trot - 1.46:08
  • Finish - 1.58:55

10 comments:

Manners said...

Well done buddy. Got old uncle MO going for ya now.

Shad Mika said...

NICE!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sweet run, Scott. I can't wait to get out to Mt. Falcon soon. Stay in that swing through Miwok.

Scott N said...

Hey Scott. Good work on Mt. Falcon. I read your blog now and then and great to see your progress.

I live over near Lone Tree and run a route through Sweetwater Park over to the powerlines and then on to Bluffs regional park. As I run the Bluffs loop (I think it's officially called Tinsley Trail) I look over to the south and see some more bluffs, but no indication of any trail over there...have you found any trails that go over there? I'm just looking for some more hills to run in the area without having to drive. Any ideas?

-scott

Manners said...

Wonder if the socks had anything to do with it?

Unknown said...

Thanks all! Like you said Footfeathers, I "hope" I can stay in this groove leading into Miwok. (fingers crossed)

Scott N - I think I know where you're talking about, straight South of Lone Tree is a loop trail that sits above Target? I run that quite a bit or interval training - has one nice little climb. I guess that's the Bluffs. If you go South on Monarch over to Castle Pines North there is a system of trails run by Highlands Ranch, sometimes they monitor it and ask for cards. It's called Coyote Ridge and has a few hills. But the East/West trail runs right by there and is open to the public and when complete will connect to the bluffs. Hope this helps. Go to http://www.douglas.co.us/openspace/documents/East-westtrail.jpg to see an aerial view.

azspeedgoat said...

Scott,

Do you really use that golytely stuff. Does it work and for what? To drop a little weight? Cleansing??? Any info would be great.

Great training you have going, see you in Silverton soon enough.

Unknown said...

Hey AZspeedgoat,

Nah - I really don't use Golytley. I was half kidding because I know a few ultra runners that use it right before they run a hundred so I was jabbing them. Golytely DOES work to clean out yer system, call it a very thorough colon cleanse. It's basically 4500 ml of fluid taken over 24 hours. It's used in the medical world as a prep for a colonoscopy. But like you mentioned, people often use it to lose water weight or avoid stopping during long races. During my run on Saturday I could have sworn someone slipped some Golytely in my water....

azspeedgoat said...

Kind of what I thought. Thanks for the quick reply, keep up the good training. Good luck at Miwok!

Scott N said...

Thanks for the info Scott. Yes, right above the Super Target is what I'm calling the Bluffs. By the looks of that map the East/West proposed trail will run right through it and continue past I-25. That will be sweet to have a long trail with a least a couple little climbs.

I think I'll check out that existing East/West someday on one of my longer runs (20m or so). I've also been meaning to check out Surry Ridge as well.

-scott