Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Sunday, February 6, 2011

January 31 - Feb 6

It's official. I did not apply to Hardrock this year. For the first time in 7 years there will be no suspense... but truth be told, this was the first year I had an automatic entry so either way there would not have been suspense. I remember a few years ago I started #34 on the wait list and got in the day before - lots of gray hairs after that one. Sure I could have taken a slot this year but that would have been completely selfish being two weeks after Western States, knowing my body, and the recover time needed. I've only got so many races left in me before I'm done and I want to experience Western States. With the record number of applicants who are in the same position I have been many times over, better to give someone else a chance this year. The Hardrock 100 is a special race and the San Juan's are a special place so why not grow the Hardrock family and let someone else experience the world's greatest high alpine running event. Good luck to all in the lottery today.

Training for me this week has been great! For the entire month of January I have been building a very solid base with most of my runs just under 8 pace with an avg. HR of 145. Sure I've been anxious to get some leg turn over and finally got a taste to end the week. Lucho is ratcheting down the bolts! The run today was after two days of trudging through snow and lots-o-elevation gain so (needless to say) tired legs. But today just really confirmed what I have been building towards - being able to run between 6:15s and 6:30s during the second half of a longer run. Add in the core workouts almost every day and I feel fit not only strength wise but aerobically as well. Here is how the this week looked:

Thursday - 8 myles Kansas City TM (missed 2nd run today)

Total - 83 myles, 12hrs 19 mins, 9134 ft of climbing

I miss you everyday Cooper

7 comments:

WMRC said...

Dude, Another great banner photo!!Could be the best one yet. Any work trips planned for Phoenix. I think we have better trails than Tulsa. Kevin

Local Mind Media said...

I didn't know Cooper was gone. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry about Cooper....did not know he was gone. Will you get another dog? My dogs are 10 years old and doing well for the most part. I love dogs.!!!! :Q)

Wyatt Hornsby said...

Scott:

I am sorry about the loss of Cooper. Dogs are special.

Regardimg Hard Rock, it is a dream of mine. Something is pulling me to the San Juans. Hard Rock is one of the reasons I dreamed about living in Colorado. With the lottery odds being what they are, man, when the day comes that I feel "ready" for Hard Rock, I may have to stand in line for a while. I am seriously considering Hard Rock next year...so long as I have a good showing at Leadville. One thing at a time.... I am at least going to pace at Hard Rock next year. WS is also on my mind....

Nice week of running!

Always remember--all dogs go to heaven.

Wyatt

Anonymous said...

Are you planning to go to
Silverton to watch the results of the Hardrock?

Unknown said...

Kevin - yes trails in AZ are waaaay better than what Tulsa has to offer. Hope to see the WMRC crew soon!

We put Cooper down a few weeks ago and it's just starting to sink in that he's gone. Every morning I wake up, he's not there, when I get back from my run, he's not there to lift his head and greet me. He was a very special dog, and those who knew him would argue that he was part human.

And yes anon. I plan on being at Hardrock, most likely pacing.

Speedgoat Karl said...

Great shot of Cooper! I am sure they all are. I just lost Binger last week too, it hasn't been a good week. Our doggies are special and we'll miss them. May they RIP and catch endless frisbees all day!

We'll miss ya at HR, but go kill WS, new and different races are cool too.