Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Monday, October 17, 2011

Krispy Kreme Challenge

For the last 3 years the CRUD group has felt compelled to put on some sort of eating challenge during the year end party. And each year I gladly participate. We've done 3 Chipotle burritos for fastest time, one large Domino's cheese pizza for fastest time, and obviously donuts this year for fastest time. The big difference this year was the running part - good lord!!

In fact, the Krispy Kreme Challenge is an official event back in North Carolina that started back in 2004. This year there were over 2700 finishers raising $100,000 with all proceeds going to the NC children's hospital. Great cause. Although our little outing didn't produce quite as many participants, 7 in all, maybe we will grow this event and find a worthy cause in future years.

I only had one goal - beat JT! I beat him last year but with him running a 17.20 5K (more like 4K) earlier in the morning I knew his legs were primed. I have not been doing any sort of speed training for this event but I certainly have been training the eating part since UTMB. Our course was actually 2.1 myles but whose counting right. Rick tried to get it reduced to a mile cause he was tired but we wanted to do the official challenge. Oh and before I forget, Brooks wussed out because he is apparently whooped. Neal was also a no show but probably had a legit excuse like saving someones life on Pikes.

Anyways, I took off from the start and just did what I could, and if anything, get a similar split on the second two myles. My splits were: 12:41 - 4:07 - 12:53 = 29:41. I never had the urge to throw up just a humongous side ache. One piece of advice, if you ever decide to do this, don't drink a lot of water to get the donuts down. They are caked with enough hydrogenated oils to slide down your throat pretty easy. And if they are hot you could cut the time down eating in half.

Here are the results:
  1. Scott 29:41 (will compete for the world title next year)
  2. Sean 35:45 (who also a 1/2 grump earlier in the day)
  3. Rick 36:55 (will never eat another donut)
  4. JT 39:35 (ran a 4K earlier in the day)
  5. Andy 45:01
  6. Harry 46:58 (didn't puke but spit up water and sugar substance??)
  7. Chris 56:12 (doesn't have to go home to NC now to do the challenge)


Thanks to JT and Katy for once again hosting the CRUD party! They have a great house for entertaining, especially the PI party patio. Come see the patio during the next event, The Ponderous Posterior 50K on January 14th.

11 comments:

Local Mind Media said...

Pearl Izumi should be proud.

Unknown said...

Yes PI is proud! The only way I could have been faster is to have a McDavid full body speed suit! And then some McDavid compression pants that go over my belly for recovery. McDavid makes you fast(er)!

Alverna said...

nice Scott... you make a mother proud... Oh Jaxon too...

Ned Barrett said...

So back here in South Carolina, we're crazily traingin for the Nu-Way Lounge 5K: involves a true 5k course, with a stop in the middle to down a PBR AND a KK donut! Bring it on CRUD'ers! http://nuway5k.eventbrite.com/

Ned

Breeves2000 said...

Did anyone lose their doughnuts during or after the last run? While I was watching the vids, I was thinking that microwaving them before hand to make 'em soft would make them go down quicker.
Wish I could've made it. Maybe next time.

brownie said...

You should go to North Carolina for the real event. You'd win hands down. Your time in Colorado was less than 10 seconds off the winning time, but given the donuts weren't hot and the run course was significantly long you would dominate. Plus, you could bring me back some Yuengling.

Next event is the wine and cheese party on Nov 25th. An endurance event for the liver.

Unknown said...

Oh my gawd Ned! Brownie would destroy everyone of you in that event! Only 1 KK donut and only 1 PBR? Brownie could double or triple that and still win.

Ben - no one lost their donuts. Except Harry who said he spit up water and a sugar solution?? Not sure there.

My mother and son are proud so I dun good!

nmp said...

Sounds like you have found your true competitive calling in life...maybe you should switch to competitive eating? 20s/donut is quite impressive!

GZ said...

Helluva weekend for brownster. 5k PR, this run and then walking with me in the middle of the night at the Boulder Res.

And this event is really nuts.

J.P. Patrick said...

...and you looked down at your watch coming in from the first run! Classic!

RobK said...

Hey Scott, I noticed you hit a lot of the same trails I do. Let me know if you ever want to meet for a run. I'm a 2:29 road guy, but am hoping to jump in some ultras this coming year so I'm doing most of my running on the trails now. I'm at robkosick@hotmail.com