Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Mar 7 - 13

I miss blogging everyday. Not that I ever had anything interesting to say, I just enjoyed the freedom to express my raw thoughts. It was some sort of therapy I guess. But it's all about life balance right? And blogging everyday had to take a back seat to my new job. I still have the time to blog, I just don't have the mental energy to put thoughts down. I still solve the world's problems while out on my runs but those solutions stay stuck in my head and by the time I get to my weekly recap, I've forgotten all of them. I will get better though. The balance will be restored sooner than later. Real quick though (before I forget), last week I spent almost all my runs on the treadmill and I gotta say going to the gym is a great place to people watch. I'm in my own little world with headphones on but still notice quirky things like this: have you every seen someone get on the treadmill, crank it up to something like 20%, and then walk as fast as they can while leaning back and gripping the front of the treadmill? It is the funniest damned thing I have seen at the gym in a while! Do they think they are getting a better workout because they cranked it up? I dunno maybe they want to get an upper body workout too. Cracks me up! Who am I to judge though, they probably laugh at me when I'm making all those funny sounds during a 10 x 30 second sprint session.

Onto my weekly recap:

Monday - 4 myles Grigs
PM 8 myles Bluffs
Wednesday - 8 myles Sanitas
Thursday - 6 myles Des Moines TM

83 myles, 12 hours 34 minutes, 11,492 ft of climbing

The key workouts this week were:
1) Sanitas on Wednesday for the 2 x 20 minutes at HR 165-175. It's the first time in 3 months that I've touched that range. First time up was a little short because I went up the East Ridge and it only took 13 minutes, hurt my lungs a little there. Second time up I went up the Mount Sanitas trail which was 19.41, felt much better. It's almost as if my body remembered how to deal with the stress. I had a avg. HR of 172 and it felt good, wanted to go faster but that 175 was the absolute cap this early in the building stage.

2) Deer Creek on Saturday which is the first time since Ponderous Posterior 50K that I've hit the 4K mark for climbing. This run represented the middle 30K at Chuckanut. It was slow because of the bullet proof ice and I should have known better to bring my microspikes for the wall. During this run I practiced my race day nutrition and hydration which consisted of 1 powerbar, 1 EFS liquid shot wild berry diluted in water, and 1 scoop of Pre-Race in a smaller sprint bottle. The Pre-Race is new to the regimen so I wanted to make sure it would not upset my stomach, like last time. All is good and I got a huge boost mentally from it. I took it 1.45 into the run, started to work at 2 hours, and lasted through 3+ hours.

3) HR tour de trails today is the last of the key workouts. Significant because I ran the last 10K in 40:22 (6:30 pace), not blazing, but on tired legs so I'll take it. This is especially important because Chuckanut ends the same way on a flattish 10K. I kept the HR avg. to 159 so that is pretty comfortable to me but I can tell the leg speed is lagging a bit. Truth be told I haven't done hardly any leg turnover stuff in this building phase so that is to be expected. It will come in 16 weeks, I promise.

I just glanced over the Chuckanut start list and I have to say it's impressive! Looking forward to fast and beautiful race next Saturday. And I hear Bellingham has some good local brews.

10 comments:

Nick said...

Wow - that really is a stellar field at The Nut. Top five will be a major result. Looks like you'll go head to head again with the guy who beat you at Hagg Lake, and then that Loutitt guy is a low 2:20 marathoner who'll also be at AR50. A long list of other recognizable and fast names on the list. Easily the field of the year thus far.

Run with the balls exposed Senor Jaime!

Alverna said...

that made me laugh... I have seen people doing that very same thing... Did you ever wonder if they let go how far back they would fall...Takes more energy to hold on .... Good luck next weekend... run like the wind ....

Wyatt Hornsby said...

Fast Ed: Regarding the new job, what are you doing?

Good to hear the report on Deer Creek. I almost went today and will be sure to bring my MicroSpikes if I go next weekend.

Wyatt

Brandon Fuller said...

I have stayed away from Sanitas for about a year now after it had been a weekly staple. I kind of miss the death march to the top but I wasn't sure I was getting the most out of a workout there. Its almost like a stairmaster 5k. Seems very specific to maxing HR while slamming your legs. Guess I wasn't sure it translated to regular trail running.

Unknown said...

Nick I would be happy for a top 10. I hope to pick some people off on that last 10K.

Thanks Mom. The wind seems to always blow in my face...

Wyatt - same job just more responsibility and bigger territory (CO, KS, NE, OK, IA)

BF - Sanitas is a good check every once in a while but doing it all the time would probably make you slow

nmp said...

Good luck next weekend Scott! Looks like a fast field but if you run like you did a few weeks ago you will pick some folks off at the end

mtnrunner2 said...

FastED - This weekend I headed down to HR on a lark for some trails and pretty much struck out. I looked at some of your GPS tracks but they seemed like resident-only. Any parks that you'd recommend for a non-resident for medium to long run (not on roads)?

Go get 'em at the upcoming race. Always fun to see the locals do well.

trudginalong said...

Dude, you got me all turned around looking at your map of DC. This the version to attain as much vert as possible? Up the stairs to the top of the junction, back around to the out/back, up and around the peak (no summit grab?), down the awesome single track, red mesa, overlook, back up and around the summit and down? Quad burner!

Unknown said...

PG - I was just trying to string together a good 3 hours. I went to the top of jxn to drop off water bottle then back around the long loop, down bear creek, single track, mesa loop, eagle point (summit), and then back down to the road. next time we'll go together

Local Mind Media said...

Good racing tomorrow Scott!