Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Colorado Trail adventrue

Well, here I am on the eve of my epic adventure. Two years in the planning stages and now it's time to put the rubber to the road. I am excited. I am scared. I am nervous. But most of all I am fortunate. Fortunate to have the support of family and close friends. I could not do this without them, so to them I say "thank you" now just in case I forget to say it out there. I will miss my family daily out on the trail but the thought of seeing their faces at days end will drive me to get to my destination. Then we do it all over again for 11 more days.

I am not afraid to say I'm scared, scared more for the unknown rather than the challenge. It's one thing to concentrate for 100 mile race but to do it almost 5 times consecutively will take every bit of concentration and strength I have. I am testing my limits and I won't know what my limits are until I go beyond them. I think it's safe to say with this, I'm approaching that line.

And I'll end with a quote that appropriately showed up on my blog today:

Defeat is not the worst of failures, not to have tried is the true failure.
-George Edward Woodberry

See you in Durango!

9 comments:

aj said...

looking forward to see your smile when you come into camp to rest & a good night sleep...You are so strong ... I cannot think of anything that you cannot conquer...Go & have fun....LOL....

Anonymous said...

Stay on it. You'll finish, just keep positive and motivated. Looking forward to the reports!
tim

Joe Kulak said...

GO GET EM!!! Enjoy the journey!

Joe Kulak

Manners said...

Looking forward to spending a few days with you on the trail. No doubt in my mind you will do it. Enjoy this epic journey and hey Happy 40th!
manners

Scheri said...

Have a great time! Good luck! Harsha is excited to see how it goes and to help pace. I'm glad he is taking the opportunity to help you out :-)

Jim P. said...

Don't forget to enjoy the splendor, majesty and drama that is the Colorado backcountry, even when you're suffering. Can't wait to read the blog updates.

brownie said...

You'll never make it!

Wish I could be out there with you. Enjoy the beers in Durango!

Anonymous said...

For all of those keeping a watch on Scott, he is doing good. The satellite spot is not working at all times. I will try and keep you all updated. He has made it to the half way mark and is a little sore. He has a case of shin splints but other than that is still running out on the course. I had the opportunity to talk to 3 other men that were doing the CT and they had been out for two weeks or more and they had not even made it as far as Scott. I ask one backpacker if he had seen a runner pass him going up and his response was, "A Runner!!!" Thanks to Brian, Rick, Jill, Aric, Jake, and Eric for all helping out so far.. Thanks also to my father Rick to help follow him while we are back home for Jaxon's school. If it was not for you I would seriously be worried for Scott. Thanks so much to everyone that is supporting Scott.

Anonymous said...

Excellent run! And, I'm sure the world will be a much better place, now that someone has done this run without a huge swollen ego to show for it! Way to teach the boys big man!