Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Monday, May 9, 2011

Miwok 100K - 9.13:11 13th

Hellow people of the blog world! I trust all is well. It's Monday night and I am sore and tired - no energy to write anything fun, just the facts. I've got a bunch of travel coming up for the next couple of weeks so it's write something now (half baked) or not at all, so here it goes:

Miwok was good and bad. The good part was 99% of the time.

I came straight from Palm Springs to meet my wife in San Francisco for a nice relaxing weekend. Been a long time w/o any kids - refreshing. A big thank you to my Mom who drove out from Utah to be with our boys!! Anyway, took Nicole around to all the aid stations and did my pre-race day run up from Randall. I was feeling really, really good. Climbing and breathing easy - good sign. I went to the check in and chatted a bit with Krissy and Gary Gellin, among others and proceeded to get back to the room. Race day morning came fast and furious at 3 AM. Made our way to the start line on the beach and had good vibes.

Start to Tennessee Valley - 11 myles - 1.29:33 split
I settled into the race just behind a pack of 13 or 14 guys. Phil Kochik and I decided to sit back and watch it all happen at a safe distance. The course went in reverse (where it could) so we did an extra climb early before heading down to Tennessee Valley

Tennessee Valley to Pantoll 20 myles - 2.47:27 (1.17:54 split)
We immediately climbed back out of the valley over to Hwy 1 and then up the very long Deer Park road (Dipsea trail). Phil and I came upon Yassine, who was putting powder in his drink along side the trail, we must have spooked him because he climbed up Deer Park road very fast. Phil and I were still conversational and feeling good 20 myles into Pantoll

Pantoll to Bolinas Ridge 26 myles - 3.39:42 (52:15 split)
Now the most beautiful section traversing along the grass covered hills, sprinkled with pine trees, overlooking the ocean - stunning. Still running with Phil, we came upon Lewis Taylor who had slowed from the lead pack. A quick greeting and it was off I went, knowing I would probably see him again. At this point, going into Bolinas Ridge, I started to click on all cylinders.

Bolinas Ridge to Randall 33 myles - 4.27:58 (48:15 split)
I really wanted to wait for this feeling after the turn around but when it happens, you gotta run on feel. Buzzing I caught up with Yassine who was stretching on a tree but soon followed me down the hill to Randall. Amazing, I was only 6 minutes behind the lead pack of 8 people, all of them were together.

Randall to Bolinas Ridge 41 myles - 5.29:04 (1.01:05 split)
Back up the hill, the steep hill. I put a lot of effort into bridging the gap which may have been a little too early but I got excited when I saw all of them together not too far ahead. Once at the top and heading back to Bolinas I started to feel a little fatigue. But 40 myles in, fatigue happens and it's all about managing and taking care of the body with food, water, and electrolytes.

Bolinas to Pantoll 47 myles - 6.32:16 (1.03:15 split)
Leaving Bolinas I asked my wife how far the leaders where out and she said "20 minutes" No way! Mike, Dave, and Dakota had a good split heading back up and it shocked me cause I felt like I was also running good. Right before I got to Pantoll I caught up with Dan Olmstead, as he was feeling a little dizzy at this point but knew he'd be back.

Pantoll to Muir Beach 52 myles - 7.21:31 (49:15 split)
Coming into Pantoll I am now in 6th place but started to feel a bit of twinges in my groin and front of my calf. Down Deer Park road I went hoping to catch more people but my legs where tightening up and for the first time all day I felt slow. The good thing is that once off Deer Park it's a nice single track to Muir beach.... but I was slowing. Now I started talking to myself "don't settle"... but I couldn't do anything about it. Getting into Muir Beach was a blessing because I knew some S-caps would turn me around.

Muir Beach to Tennessee Valley 57 myles - 8.15:08 (54:36 split)
Guess what? Ate some watermelon, sponged off, couple cups of coke, and I was off... Totally spaced off the S-caps that were on the table. Damn! Once Nathan Yanko caught me at the top of the hill going into Pirates Cove I realized I was going to have a tough time getting back into Tennessee Valley. Shortly after Dan Olmstead then Yassine Diboun and a couple more.

Tennessee Valley to Finish 62 myles - 9.13:11 13th place
Adding insult to injury, Elvis passed me about a mile out of Tennessee Valley. Yes Elvis. Wig, polyester pants, and gold glasses. Turns out it was Ian Sharman raising money for charity. Had to laugh at that one! At any rate, I was baked. This may sound crazy but my watch read 17,000+ feet of climbing! Is that right? Sure felt like it while I was out there but I always thought somewhere around 10K.

No I did not get a PR but yes I had a wonderful time. I have these snapshot images in my head of the trails meandering in the hills above the ocean. Tia Boddington does an amazing job with this race. Thanks to all the volunteers. And most of all thanks and love to my wife who took care of all my needs at all the aid stations. She also attended to other runners while waiting for me.

Nutrition was simple: 6 flasks of EFS liquid shot diluted in my 20 oz bottle, only one bottle of EFS eletrolyte drink, and a handful of bananas. Certainly did not do well with the water and electrolyte consumption. I cramped up all night in bed so I know I was lacking big time.


8 comments:

Breeves2000 said...

With the speed work you've been doing lately, I would've thought your legs would be prepared to operate fine from just the EFS. Sorry to hear about the cramping. That's rough. I'd love to see this course some day.
At least you were able to finish your race. I ended up in the ER during the Greenland 50k with a kidney stone. Had a decent race going too for the first 2 laps.
Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged. Your training will pay good dividends soon.

trudginalong said...

Regardless, you ran solid race Scott. Don't forget to take the learning experiences from this, someone wise once reminded me to do the same.

willgotthardt said...

Good stuff Scott, race & recap...I had a pacing gig with Joel Lanz (9th), saw you take a chair at TV and had some concern, was real glad to see you finish it off, well done.

Video from front of race throughout (filmed by Jim Vernon)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-2e8Wf4pSg

Cheers, Will G.

-OOJoe said...

LB and AJW would call that a "Salt Deprivation Run"! Sheesh! Didn't you pack any S-Caps, or did you run out?

Check out Dan-O's report from "The Big Juan" 2009: http://danolmstead.blogspot.com/2009/07/2009-western-states-race-report.html

This is the worst-case scenario when you get behind, but a cautionary tale nonetheless. Happy recovery and see you in a few weeks! -J

Unknown said...

yeah -J just didn't take care of myself. didn't have any caps at all. saw some at the table at 52, just forgot... need to get focus better.

BobbyKnight said...

Scott-Can you get in touch w/me about WS100? Send me a message on Twitter @bobbyknight_ or email at

bdiesel29er@gmail.com.

Thanks!
bobby knight

Dave Mackey said...

Nice work there Mr Jaime.. Too bad we didnt connect too much at the finish. See you in the "endurance capital of the world"!(no, not Highlands Ranch, not Boulder.. keep guessing..)

Stay Vertical said...

I've always heard 10K gain at Miwok too. <aybe your watch is off: It does show 3500' gain for your run yesterday by the river in Richmond, VA. That can't be right. Funny, because my watch has been having spasms lately too. It will show 23 min pace then 4 min pace only seconds apart. Maybe the GPS satellites are on the fritz.
Jeremy from Idaho