Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Sunday, May 1, 2011

April 25-May 1

Another solid week comes to a close but not without incident. Mileage is picking up week over week as well as more specific leg turn over stuff. With that comes danger of riding the edge too close and injury becomes possible. In fact, for the last 3 weeks I've been noticing a little hitch in my left lower back that was more noticeable after a run, sitting for awhile, then trying to walk. The pain radiates down my left leg (thought I had a calf thing going one) was dull at first then this last week it has gotten more painful and can't walk without a limp. I did a little research and the only thing I can come up with is some sort of Stenosis or Sciatica. I haven't taken any NSAIDS yet during training cause I want to be able to get the benefit from the pills during a race. The strange thing is that I don't notice it while running unless I start thinking about it, but then again, I haven't gone 62 myles yet. I could be overreacting at this point but man it hurts to walk.

At any rate, I'm heading out the door today to Palm Springs for a week and then straight to Miwok - you should see my bag of pills! Optygen HP, Aspirin, and Advil... hope it passes security. Here is what my week looking like:

Monday - OFF???
Wednesday - AM 8 myles HR backcountry

Total - 73 myles, 9 hrs 35 mins, 7222 ft of climbing

April overall was a good high volume month coming in at 399 myles. 1413 myles for the year.

Wonder when this guy is coming back

7 comments:

Neal Gorman said...

Scott, you very likely have sciatica, which may or may not also be related to piriformis syndrome. It is an intensely annoying injury and one that can linger. I had it last year from early May through this past winter. Sometimes I still develop systems- mostly when I am too busy covering miles and not on my game exercising the hip, glut and hamstring properly the way I learned how to. Eventually I’ll conquer it completely but now things are all good considering. My advice is nip it in the bud, Homie. NSAIDS may get you through a race and reduce symptoms, as will time off perhaps, but neither is really a welcomed option and neither, truly, will fix the problem. A concerted strengthening/balancing effort of your gluts and hamstrings will likely do the lasting trick. Good luck at Miwok.

Ps – Weird. My mileage-ometer for the year reads, as of today, May 1, 1,413 myles. Same as yours.

GZ said...

Damn dude. I hope that clears quick. This age thing is overrated.

And yeah -- when is that guy coming back ...

nmp said...

Hopefully your back thing is nothing major...

Good luck at Miwok! Looks like you are have a good shot at the ultra cup - go get some more points.

Speedgoat Karl said...

Self diagnosis is all too common. One thing I've always done when I can't figure out an injury-issue...is see my doc. Granted, a regular doc you don't know, or one who doesn't know you is not really the answer. If you have a great doc like I do, he'll give you a true diagnosis, not one that you and others "guess" what it is.

If your doc ever says "it could be this or that", see someone else, cuz' he's guessing to. :-)

When you get the right diagnosis, you find the right way to treat it.

Not taking anything away from Neal here. :-), but now he just gave you another thing to think about, or another "guess" at what it is. He may be right, he may be wrong.

Just go kill it at Miwok and it'll go away. It happens to me alot, I start out not feeling so sure about an issue, then after the race I forgot about it.

I have also had the same issue Neal mentions in sentence #1. I play golf when it hurts, or go sledding. :-)

Optygen will make it thru security, been there done that. :-)

Brian said...

Core strengthening!!! Every time I increase mileage and ignore the core work I get this. Once back doing some core work it goes away just like that.

I'm 12 miles behind you, 1401 through May 1.
Good luck at Miwok!
BFish

Unknown said...

I may not be a doctor but I play one on TV... Thanks for all the suggestions, they help. I have somehow gotten out of the core routine, which I've been good doing for most years but travel and such has caused me to skip.

Karl - I call on doctors all day long.... I drink beer when it hurts.

Speedgoat Karl said...

Yah, now you know my method to recovery and feeling good. Beer, it works...every time. :-) Good luck at Miwok, it's a great run-up to Western for ya.

I'm about 300 miles behind you now, but we'll see how far back in France eh?

Good times my man! :-)