Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

10 myles - 1.08:30

Daniels Park - 7:00 A.M.
18 degrees, clear, dry
mind/body - refreshed/strong
easy effort

I felt really good this morning with a 6:51 pace. And just to keep the legs and lungs honest I pushed a middle mile at 5:55, feeling really relaxed. I've been so busy with work that I'm running when I can but I don't want to lose speed leading into Caumsett 50k in 7 weeks. If I can get out and do a speed workout a week then I feel pretty confident posting a 3:15 there.

On another note, remember how I said it was no biggie that I took 2nd masters but crossed the line first at the RnR marathon? Well turns out it was a $500 biggie! First masters walked away with $1000 and second was $500 - shit! Not complaining here because I expected nothing, just saying it woulda been nice to have a grand in my pocket! Even the elites wear chips. Can you imagine if two guys are battling for the overall win and are both leaning at the tape?? Only to find out that the guy who crossed the line second really won.... That's about a $5000 or more difference. So the strategy now is if you are in a large marathon and you're placed in corral 1, start at the back of the corral!

11 comments:

Nick said...

You was robbed, but still, an unexpected $500 can't be bad.

So, are you not doing Red Hot next month? Seem to remember you saying it was on the schedule.

Manners said...

That's great beer money for us when I come out next month. Sweeeeeet!!! I knew your running would benefit me!

Brett said...

Thats pretty damned silly.

One time I had to miss a 10k race so I gave my buddy my chip to turn in...he wore his on his right foot and mine on his left foot. I beat him by 15 people.

I thought all this was precisely why timing chips are NOT used on elites?

I mean, you could wait a full second and then blow out and catch up to the lead pack. Coming down the home stretch you could taunt everyone in their ears that you were going to win anyways.

GZ said...

Do the results show differences in the gun and chip time?

Unknown said...

Nick - no red hot for me. Too busy with work. I know $500 is $500 more than I expected so it is what it is as silly as it may seem.
Manners - no beer for you! ALL for me.
Brett - my point exactly! whatever you do, start at the back!
GZ - chip 2.37:49, gun 2.37:50. Ken chip 2.37:49, gun 2.37:51. So there you go - he started right behind me but finished closer behind me to seal the deal.

GZ said...

I am surprised a marathon of that stature would award on chip time versus gun time ... that seems like basic race result stuff to me.

Also curious ... was there any designation that allowed folks to know who a masters was? Just thinking that in USATF Club XC this year, I saw the age of every competitor ahead of me via a number.

Anonymous said...

Must be the tie goes to the older runner. You know what this means don't you? If they had chip timing at that first race at Mt. Falcon I would have beat you! We'll just move that race over to the win column for BFish.

Local Mind Media said...

That's crap. USATF recognizes gun time (rule #165).
I was just looking over results in UltraRunning Mag (I think) and they had some guy who obviously showed up late and started 5 mins after the field but ended up 2nd on chip time. I'd be pissed to know I crossed the line 2nd, 3rd, etc but then find out I was actually a place back because the RD used chip for scoring.

I always used gun time for prize money and awards in races I put on AND chip timed myself.

Unknown said...

GZ - no designation...

FF - I may just bring rule #165 to their attention.

Local Mind Media said...

For $500 I'd invoke a new amendment to the constitution.

Geoff said...

It is totally worth bringing to their attention! All prizes are supposed to be awarded based on gun time, chip time counts for nothing. That's why at the Bolder Boulder if you want to win the citizens race you have to qualify for and start at the front of the first wave. You may run a 28min 10k, but if you are in wave QQ you don't get anything for it.