Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Saturday, December 29, 2007

16 myles

Daniels Park out/back - 10:45 a.m.
Clear, low 20's, snow packed road
No major body issues - knees felt a little achy
No Achilles pain running, sore afterwards
Moderate effort

Took a day off yesterday to go skiing with my son Jaxon and the Stemmon's. Doesn't matter what kind of shape you're in, those long cruiser runs still burn the 'ol quads. Needless to say I woke up this morning a little stiff but once I started to run I felt fine.

This route is similar to the Sante Fe loop run but rather than a loop I run out/back via Grigs. This is my staple run and will vary the distance depending upon the day. I decided not to do the Sante Fe loop run because I didn't feel like I should go 19 just yet. I can always make the distance I choose but I gage my fitness with my recovery. With this run I'm completely satisfied because I finished strong and recovered quick. I also did a speed check at mile 12 and mile 16. Mile 12 split was 7:12 in which I normally run about 6:45 - a little discouraging. Mile 16 split was 6:38 in which I ran 6:52 on clear roads the other day - much better. I pushed the pace for mile 16 because I wanted to see how my body would respond. My breathing was relaxed and body was clickin' with the effort about 80%. With no speed work in my legs yet, I think a 6:38 last mile is pretty good sign of things to come.

No comments: