Photo courtesy of Andrew King - D4 Productions

Saturday, November 1, 2008

12 myles - 1.26:52

H.R. East/West trail - 1:00 p.m.
too nice to pass up
mind/body - good
medium effort

Just couldn't let the day pass me by without taking part in it. My 2nd - 1.5 hour run this week for a total of 51 myles. Third week back training sticking close to the 10% rule of adding mileage. The run was pretty uneventful but I did throw in a few 30 second interval sessions just to keep my legs honest.

On a side note I've been experimenting with nutrition a bit, primarily with gels. I know how important it is to consume carbohydrates within 30 minutes of finishing a run. During that time the body has the highest degree of carbohydrate uptake to rebuild glycogen stores and start the recovery process. If that's true I want to teach my body to consume the carbohydrate source I'll be using in longer races for greater acceptance and utilization. My experiment is simple, as soon as I get done with a run of 1.5 hours or more I will only consume gels and water for one hour. After that time is up I'll then add my favorite recovery drink. There's no science behind this, it just makes sense to me. I'm not even sure if there's a way to measure if it's working other than not bonking in a race. I'll let you know.

No comments: